I already mentioned in my Crypt of the Damned tutorial that I have a collection of Dungeon Tiles I made about a year ago. They were my first attempt at Dungeon Crawl paraphernalia and intended to be used in our DnD 4ed sessions. They are based on the cut-out templates of the free game Dungeon Plungin’. I had a read of the rules and found the selection of tile shapes suitable for a variety of scenarios, encounters and rule systems.
I will present my collection and also provide a brief “How to”, including materials needed.
For more pictures, some more finished tiles and room configurations check out the second post, too.
Initially I made five rooms, each 6 x 6 tiles which each tile 3cm by 3 cm all featuring slightly different tile patterns:
Matching corridors, one with a nice mushroom cluster:
Having rooms and straight corridors, one obviously also needs some L-shaped corner pieces:
No Dungeon without T- and X-junctions:
For these rather simple pieces all you need is:
- Extruded polystyrene. I used a sheet of 1cm thickness.
- A sharp knife (X-acto or carpet knife).
- A sharpened pencil.
- A steel ruler.
- Thick cardboard for the loose tiles.
- Green stuff for the mushroom patch.
- Cheap acrylic paint (Grey, brown, black, white, red).
- Something to give the polystyrene a rock like texture. A piece of crumbled tin foil will do.
- Wood glue.
- Fine sand or soil.
- First cut all the room shapes out of the sheet of polystyrene. The idea is to keep the knife at a rather narrow angle, to prevent the polystyrene from ripping. You want the edges to be a clean cut.
- Using a pencil and the ruler carve the tile pattern into the foam. Add cracks and blemishes, remove some of the foam to depict missing tiles. Any tiles that are loose and protrude over the floor level are now cut out of the thick cardboard and glued in place using the wood glue. Let dry.
- Cover all the areas which show open ground with wood glue and cover with sand or soil. Let dry.
- Onwards to painting. I followed my usual routine for the stone floor and the wood. If you used soil, you can leave it at this or add more variation with pigments, just as I did with my Crypt module.
- Here we go. Some simple Dungeon tiles.
Obviously they lack a three-dimensional feeling. This is why I improved on the design and integrated the walls in the Crypt module. I still think they will be used till I replaced them all with the new design. For some of you guys this design will be more practical, as you can store them easily and add all kinds of details like pillars etc. or even wall segments separately.